UFC Hall of Famer Coleman in hospital after fire

UFC legend Mark Coleman remains hospitalized on Tuesday after suffering from smoke inhalation in a house fire in Toledo.

Coleman, 59, was airlifted to the hospital after pulling his mother and father from the scene, according to friends and family. His daughter, Morgan, wrote on Instagram that her father is “battling for his life after this heroic act.”

“As many know, our dad was involved in a house fire early this morning along with his parents and his beloved dog, Hammer,” Morgan wrote. “He managed to carry both of his parents out of the house but despite his best efforts was not able to save Hammer. He was life-flighted to the hospital where is currently battling for his life after this heroic act.”

Coleman is considered a pioneer of mixed martial arts. He became the UFC’s first heavyweight champion in 1997. Prior to his MMA career, he was a standout in amateur wrestling. He won an NCAA Division I title for Ohio State in 1988 and represented the U.S. in the Olympics in 1992.

The UFC inducted Coleman into its Hall of Fame in 2008.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *